Carbon Monoxide-Related Deaths
The CPSC has released new information on death counts in the United States due to non-fire carbon monoxide. According to the most recent study, in 2008, there was a total of 190 deaths cause by it. A strong correlation to the increase of use of portable generators during Winter time is a major concern. In the same year, there were 86 non-fire CO deaths due to the higher use of them as colder weather arrived.
Unfortunately, carbon monoxide is invisible and can strike fast within minutes. It’s better to be safe than sorry! Here are some safety rules the CPSC suggests to stay safe:
- Install working CO alarms in your home. Make sure the alarm is battery-backup so it works during a power outage.
- Keep all generators outside of your home, away from doors and windows.
- Never use a generator in a garage, basement, crawl space, shed, or on a porch.
Working With Carbon Monoxide
Working with carbon monoxide is a serious matter that should never be taken lightly. Because this deadly gas cannot be seen, tasted, or even smelled, the best way to prevent a dangerous poisoning is to NOT use gasoline-powered saw. Instead, use one that does not produce carbon monoxide, such as a hydraulic or pneumatic kind. Other fueled-powered tools can also be dangerous, such as portable generators and space heaters. For more information, learn how to follow OSHA’s standards to ensure a safe workplace by watching the following video.
For more information on general safety classes, visit our website at www.SafetyLinks.net
To view the CPSC video on CO-related deaths, visit http://www.cpsc.gov/onsafety/2012/01/co-deaths-continue-to-rise/
For the full report of CO-related deaths, visit http://www.cpsc.gov/library/foia/foia12/os/co11.pdf